leaving yum for gems, better late than never.

I've made this particular mistake a couple of times before, which was trying to use the software from my packaging system of choice, rather than the one favoured by the developers.
I love a bit of yum, and eclipse and many of its components are packaged as rpms in the fedora repositories - so I made the mistake of trying to use that version, I kept running into bugs that were fixed in the eclipse update sites version years before, even though fedora releases are every 6 months.



I've just kicked my habit of trying to use the CentOs, fedora or apt versions versions of ruby and let rubygems go to fucking town. I guess I preferred yum because my lack of understanding of rpm locations is marginally less than my lack of understanding of gem packages.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be nasty. Being rude is fine.